History of Holy Family Home
For a number of years, the Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate recognized that the Ukrainian community in Winnipeg needed a Home for the elderly.
In 1956, the Sisters, supported by a small group of local citizens, received the mandate and blessing of the Archbishop-Metropolitan of Winnipeg, his Grace Maxim Hermaniuk, to purchase the former Children’s Hospital. The building was converted into a care facility with 140 beds and officially opened on May 26, 1957.
Before long, it became evident to the Sisters that there was a greater need for nursing and personal care. Hence, in 1970, the Home was expanded with a 124 bed addition. Three years later, the planning for a second building was initiated. The project was completed in 1978 providing an additional 160 beds and the Children’s Hospital built in 1911 was demolished.
In 1982 on the occasion of the 25th Anniversary of the Home, the Board held the official opening and blessing of the Holy Family Jubilee Park, dedicated to the residents. In 1992, the 43 unit Seniors’ Tower complex was built, along with the new Link Dining Room and re-organization of service delivery areas in the Home. In 2007, Holy Family Home celebrated its 50th anniversary.
Today, the complex provides a comfortable, well-appointed Home for 276 residents. As a care facility, the Home endeavors to respond to the needs of the individual- physically, psychologically, spiritually and socially. To help make their lives more pleasant and less institutionalized, the residents are provided with many social and recreational activities. While the Ukrainian culture constitutes the nucleus of the Home, residents of different ethnic and religious backgrounds share in the bonds that bring them together as special members of the family of God.
The Home continues its commitment to the community with the provision of community outreach services including Respite Care Program, Adult Day Program, Meals on Wheels, Seniors’ Tower Complex, Noon Meal Program and the implementation of an Ukrainian community service, a Telephone Information Resource Line.
Holy Family Home Incorporation
Holy Family Home is licensed to operate as a personal care facility under the laws of the Province of Manitoba. It was incorporated by an Act passed in the Legislative Assembly in April 1963.
Holy Family Home is recognized by the Province of Manitoba as a Faith Based Facility and has entered into a Service Purchase Agreement with the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority for the provision of the personal care and service delivery to residents.
The Home is accredited by Accreditation Canada (formerly the Canadian Council on Health Services Accreditation) since 1972.
Holy Family Home is thus recognized by the community as a facility providing care for the elderly. It is a Home dedicated to the practice of Christian values working in harmony with scientific and professional excellence.